The following video transcript is generated automatically by a computer algorithm that learns and gets better on a daily basis. Please accept our apologies if some content below doesn’t make sense:

There are a variety of regulations surrounding the dark kitchens business model. Obviously, this is involved in food preparation and food sale. So there is a bunch of licencing and a bunch of legal issues surrounding that to do with food, hygiene, you know, making sure that food standards are upheld. Hygiene stands are upheld. Trying to protect the public from food poisoning. And like these regulations will vary by location. So they will they vary by country. So depending upon which country you’re in, you need to make sure and cheque how the regulations apply in your country. They will also vary regionally as well. Here in the U.K., food regulation is handled by local councils, local government. And the legislation varies across different areas. So you want to make sure that I’m going to give you some generic pointers here. And these are going to be somewhat UK specific. But you want to make sure and go and cheque with your local government, your local council, to see what the regulations are in your area. First up, noise issues. This is probably more tests, more of a problem with things like bars and nightclubs. But restaurants and food production businesses are also regulated in a similar way. And this is to do with noise complaints arising from having a busy kitchen clanging and bashing. If your kitchen is located in a residential area. Neighbours can be quite sensitive to noise coming from commercial premises. Often the way that this is handled is via zoning laws. You want to be going to your local government and working out, given some of the locations where you’re looking at creating one of these dark kitchens. Is it zoned correctly for this sort of business that we’re talking about? What are the regulations around noise complaints? Can you only operate up to a certain time at night, for example? That often happens. Is there a maximum amount of noise that is allowed to happen from a commercial premises? You can mitigate this to a certain degree by checking how close you are to residential areas. If you’re super close to where someone lives, then there’s a higher chance of noise becoming an issue. If you can set up a little bit away from a residential area, then that’s going to help if you can set up somewhere where the noise will be buffered somewhat. If you’re in an industrial park, for example, and there are warehouses around, then that’s going to help buffer some of the noise. So you want to cheque and see what the zoning laws are regarding noise and commercial businesses, and you’re just gonna want to cheque what your proximity is to residential neighbourhoods. Second, here in the UK, planning permission is going to be important. So you have to apply for or rather the location in which your business is going to be in place is going to have to require planning permission to be able to be allowed to produce food. You’ll also need planning permission for any kind of building works or conversion works, refurbishment work that you might need to do to adapt the location to service your kitchen. So that might be the plumbing of utilities. It might be installation of a commercial kitchen with fans and extractors and things like that. You will probably have to apply for planning permission to your local council so this can take eight to 12 weeks to come through. Local councils don’t tend to work particularly quickly, but it’s just a process. You have to go through what you’re gonna want to do as you want to. Going to want to contact your local council planning department and ask, here’s what I’m planning to do. Here’s the location, which I’m planning to do it. What do I have to get in terms of permissions, planning, permission, things like that? Here are the works that I’m looking to do, and they’ll be able to guide you as to what you need to apply for or what you might not need to apply for. If that location might already have planning permission for a bunch of these kind of things. But you can. The council will hold out information you need to go and cheque with them. Thirdly, specific food licencing. So if you’re going to operate a premises or a business which is going to be producing food or handling food, then you need to be licenced for that. Again, in here in the UK, that is something you need to apply for through the local council. And again, that takes eight to 12 weeks. Your typical local local government time line, they are going to want to come in and cheque and inspect things like the standards of cleanliness in your kitchen and the standards of the equipment you’ve got in there. There are certain bits of equipment you have to have there. They’re also gonna be looking at food hygiene standards, your staff, the training and certification of your staff to for food hygiene standards. You want to make sure that your staff hold food handling and food hygiene certificates that are produced by regulated bodies. You make sure they’re up to date as well. As I said, they’re going to be coming in and actually inspecting your premises to make sure annual staff to make sure. They’re up to scratch and that they hit all the points of regulation and they’re going to be doing this continually over time, so they’re going to be coming back on a fairly regular annual probably basis to cheque your kitchen and staff. You want to make sure that these stands are upheld while you’ve got your and your licence will be dependent upon you passing these inspections. Again, specifics will vary council by council, area by area. So you want to be checking the local council Web sites for details about this. If they don’t have the information on those websites, they will have the contact information for the people you need to talk to to find out what what these licencing requirements are and what the standards are that you have to adhere to.
Share This